August 15 this year will be historic as the country will be celebrating its 75th Independence Day. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the nation from the ramparts of the iconic Red Fort exactly at around 7:30 hrs. The address by the PM will be his 8th I-Day address.
This will be PM Modi's second I-Day address to be held under the shadows of pandemics. While the nation celebrated the 74th I-Day when the first wave was just at the doorstep of the peak (First wave peak in the country recorded in September), the 75th I-Day address of the PM will be happening at a moment when the disastrous second wave is yet to show up its tail and the shadow of Third-wave growing longer day by day.
In these trying times, as the country is entering into the momentous 75th year of Independence, the PM's address would focus primarily on building the resilience of the nation to grow taller from the shadow of pandemic. And to lit that instinct of resilience, the theme of 75th I-Day has been 'Nation First, Always First'.
On this historic occasion, amidst the turbulent times, all eyes are on the duration of the Prime Minister's address tomorrow. PM Modi is known for delivering long I-day addresses. Pt Jawaharlal Nehru delivered a 72-minute long address on the solemn occasion of India's first Independence Day. The prediction is PM may speak for 85-90 minutes.
Sample the duration of I-Day addresses by PM Modi.
- 2014: 65 minutes
- 2015: 86 minutes
- 2016: 96 minutes
- 2017: 57 minutes
- 2018: 83 minutes
- 2019: 92 minutes
- 2020: 86 minutes
Focal Point Of 75th I-Day Speech
PM Modi's address to the nation on the 75th I-Day tomorrow is likely to touch upon the following topics.
- The PM is likely to present his government's vision for India@100.
- The PM may ask the nation to devote 75 hrs from Aug 15, 2021 - Aug 15, 2022 for a cause to develop a resilient India.
- Highlighting the resilience, PM may zoom on how the unicorns are becoming the identity of new India. India now has 60 unicorns, 21 had come up only in the last few months.
- The speech may also shed light on the inclusion of local edible oilseeds under the National Edible Oil Mission, in order to attain self-sufficiency in edible oils. Edible oil prices have stoked inflation in recent months.
- PM Modi speech is very likely to talk about the Farmer Producer Organisations (FPO), and the need to increase its count to over 10k.
- Only, recently, a new Cooperative Ministry has been constituted. And Union Home Minister Amit Shah has been entrusted the charge.
- This year the PM's speech would be mentioning about the SHG movement in the country.
- The 75th I-Day speech may also throw light on the policy decisions of his government like the Waste to Wealth mission.
- PM's speech is likely to spell out a roadmap about the opening of more PM Jan Aushadhi Kendras in the country, especially in the backward states.
- PM's speech may focus on the success of the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- The speech may touch upon the perspectives on revolutionising the digital governance in India for the poor. Recently, PM had launched the e-RUPI voucher.
- The PM's 75th I-day speech may drop a big hint on the ongoing Covid-19 vaccination in the country, in the face of the looming danger of the Third wave.
PM Modi's Previous I-day Addresses - A Brief Account
- 2014: Announced institution of Niti Aayog and Swachh Bharat Mission
- 2015: Introduced the phrase 'Start-up India, Stand-up India'.
- 2016: Speech focussed on GST and Pakistan.
- 2017: With a massive win in UP elections, the PM coined the phrase 'New India'.
- 2018: Rolls out the Modicare or Ayushman Bharat Scheme. This was the last I-Day speech of his first term.
- 2019: As the dastardly attack on security forces in Pulwama and the Balakot strike happened in the year, the first I-Day speech in his second tenure announced the formation of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
- 2020: In the backdrop of the First Wave, the theme of the speech was Atmanirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India) and the add on the phrase 'Make For India'.