The All India Backward and Minority Communities Employees Federation (BAMCEF) launched a nationwide shutdown on Wednesday.
The bandh has been called against the Centre for not conducting a caste-based census for the Other Backward Classes (OBC).
Notably, some of the key demands of BAMCEF are:
- A caste based census
- Ensure vaccination not compulsory
- Reservation for SC/ST/OBC in private sector
- Resumption of old pension scheme
- Protection against labour laws implemented during Covid lockdown
- Guarantee of MSP to farmers
- Separate electorates in OBC quota in Panchayat polls in Odisha and MP
- No use of EVMs during election
- No displacement of tribals under garb of environmental conservation
A partial impact of the shutdown has been witnessed in some parts of Odisha.
While there has not been any noticeable effect in normal lives and functioning of Government and private offices, the shutdown has hit traffic movement due to picketing by protesters.
Vehicular movement has been affected in Bhawanipatna, Nabarangpur, Jeypore, Dharamgarh and some other places.