Cassian Baliarsingh

Electric scooty worth lakhs of rupees were reduced to ashes after a massive fire broke out at a service centre in Bhubaneswar's Bomikhal area late Monday night.

No exact reason for the fire breakout was ascertained immediately. However, sources said a short-circuit inside the service centre led to the fire breakout.

On being informed, fire personnel rushed to the showroom-cum-service centre and tried to douse the flames. The whole service centre was filled with smoke as fire-fighters battled to bring the flames under control. Many scooty were gutted in the fire.

According to sources, a battery was put on charge inside the service centre. For some reason, a short-circuit occurred that led to the fire mishap and spread inside the service centre. Locals spotted smoke coming out of the service centre and alerted the fire personnel.

Fortunately, there was no casualty as no employee was inside the service centre. It was shut down for the day before 10PM. A major mishap was averted as fire personnel reached on time and extinguished the flames.

On the other hand, a massive fire broke out inside the Bank of Baroda in Baripada of Mayurbhanj district.