Taking cognizance of a series of instances of nuisance and violence by bouncers at bars and other watering holes in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack , the Commissionerate Police on Monday issued set of instructions asking for strict compliance by the bar owners in the Twin Cities while deploying these private security personnel ahead of the New Year revelries.
The order, issued by the Police Commissioner Saumendra Priyadarshi, stated that the rules enumerated therein will remain in force for a period of two months-- till December 31, 2021.
“It has come to notice that many bars in Commissionerate Police jurisdiction have employed private persons as security personnel called as ‘bouncers.’ In recent months, some criminal cases have been registered against such private security personnel. It is apprehended that there is likelihood of imminent danger from these bouncers to the life and safety of the customers, resulting in breach of peace and disturbance of public tranquility,” the order read.
Here are the detail guidelines:
1. No Bar owner shall appoint any person as private security whether known as bouncer or otherwise without prior verification of the character antecedents of the person concerned by the respective territorial Deputy Commissioner of Police.
2. Bar owner shall appoint any person as his/her private security only from private security agencies registered under PSARA Act.
3. Bar owner shall inform local police station about persons engaged for security purposes in writing.
4. These security personnel employed in such establishments are subject to the ordinary legal rules regarding the use of force.
5. These security personnel can perform tasks permitted by law.
6. In case of need they can inform police by dialing 112.
7. In no circumstances the act of these personnel can fringe upon the fundamental right of the customer.
“The order shall come into force with effect from November 2, 2021 and shall remain in force for a period of 60 days up to December 31,2021 unless withdrawn earlier. Any individual/association contravening this order, shall be punishable under the provision of the law,” the Commissionerate Police order added.