At least 37 students of two different schools in Balasore and Mayurbhanj districts became ill after taking Prasad made to mark Ganesh Puja on Wednesday.
In Balsore district, 25 students of a Primary School at Baunsabania panchayat under Niligiri Oaupada block in Balasore district fell ill after having feast cooked on the occasion of Ganesh puja.
As per sources, all of the children belong to Kunia village. They vomited soon after returning home from the school and were down with fever. Parents rushed them to Nilagiri Hospital.
School authorities were found unavailable for comments.
“My daughter became ill after returning home from school on Ganesh Puja. We admitted her to hospital. Now, her health condition has improved,” said mother of an ailing student.
In a similar case, 12 students of Ekalavya Model School under Dhanaghera block in Mayurbhanj district had ‘prasad’ on Wednesday and later they complained of fatigue. Later the students, who reside in the school hostel, started vomiting one after the other. Hostel warden rushed them to Udala hospital for treatment. They were discharged by hospital authorities later.
“Inmates had a lot of fun on Ganesh puja. They became tired due to dancing and merrymaking and suffered from fever in the evening. I took them to hospital without delay. All of them are stable now. So I took them back to hostel again," said the hostel warden.