• otv
Ians

News Highlights

  • A large number of arms and ammunition, as well as over two dozen vehicles and motorbikes of the militants, were also destroyed during the air raids.
  • The Taliban militants have claimed capturing nearly 200 districts since early May across Afghanistan.
  • Besides the casualties, 41 people were also injured in the past seven days.

A total of 81 militants were confirmed dead as the Afghan forces, backed by helicopters and fighter planes, launched airstrikes in the northern Balkh province, an army statement released here on Sunday said.

The sorties were launched on Saturday in parts of the restive Kaldar and Chamtal districts, leaving 81 insurgents dead and injuring 43 others, reports Xinhua news agency.

A large number of arms and ammunition, as well as over two dozen vehicles and motorbikes of the militants, were also destroyed during the air raids, the statement added.

The Taliban militants have claimed capturing nearly 200 districts since early May across Afghanistan.

Afghan Civilian Casualties Drastically Down Last Week

A media report has revealed that there were 117 Afghan civilian casualties in the past seven days, a drastic difference from the 433 fatalities reported the previous week amid US airstrikes on the Taliban and international calls for a reduction in violence in the war-torn country.

The Pajhwok News report revealed on Saturday that the deaths were reported in the provinces of Kandahar, Jawzjan, Kapisa, Nangarhar, Samangan, Faryab, Balkh and Kunduz.

Besides the casualties, 41 people were also injured in the past seven days.

Afghan government forces and Taliban insurgents also suffered casualties in this, but the Pajhwok News report did not publish the figures as there was no official confirmation from either side.

The Afghan provinces have been the scene of heavy battles between Taliban and security forces since the start of withdrawal of the US-led forces from the war-torn country on May 1.

US President Joe Biden has set a formal end to the US military mission in Afghanistan for August 31, days ahead of his original September 11 deadline.

US Central Command said last week over 95 per cent of the withdrawal has been completed.

More than 2,400 US troops were killed in Afghanistan over the past two decades, with 20,000 wounded, according to the Pentagon.

Estimates show that over 66,000 Afghan troops have been killed, and over 2.7 million people were displaced.

Other Stories