• otv
Ians

News Highlights

  • Three civilians were killed and 30 others wounded during fierce clashes in Omarzai, a locality near Mehtarlam.
  • While the US and NATO troops have been leaving the country, violence in the country is on the rise.

Kabul: Three civilians and 24 Taliban militants were killed in two Afghan provinces as fighting rages in the war-torn country, the Ministry of Defence confirmed on Sunday.

In Laghman province, nine militants were killed and 17 wounded after Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) targeted their position in Alishing district on Saturday night, the Ministry said in a statement.

On Saturday afternoon, three civilians were killed and 30 others wounded during fierce clashes in Omarzai, a locality near Mehtarlam, capital of Laghman, reports Xinhua news agency.

In the neighbouring Nangarhar province, 15 Taliban militants were killed and eight wounded after the Afghan Air Force targeted a Taliban hideout in suburban Hisarak district on Saturday, the Ministry added.

The security forces also found and defused four landmines in Nangarhar.

While the US and NATO troops have been leaving the country, violence in the country is on the rise.

Heavy Fight Between Forces, Taliban Rebels Claims 23 Lives In Afghanistan

Earlier on Saturday, heavy fighting between government forces and Taliban rebels broke out in Afghanistan's northern Badakhshan province, killing 20 Taliban militants and three soldiers, an army officer in the province Captain Abdul Razaq.

"A total of 20 Taliban rebels and three soldiers have been killed in Badakhshan over the past 24 hours," Razaq confirmed to local media.

Ten more insurgents and five security personnel had been injured, the officer added.

In the meantime, some locals on the condition of anonymity said that the Taliban fighters had captured the headquarters of Tagab, Kishim, Tashkan and Shahr-e-Buzarg districts of Badakhshan over the past 24 hours, the Xinhua news agency reported.

However, Badakhshan's provincial government spokesman Nik Mohammad Nazari in talks with Xinhua has denied the fall of the districts to the Taliban militants, saying that the fighting has been continuing.

Taliban militants have intensified activities since the start of the pullout of US-led forces from Afghanistan on May 1.
 

Other Stories