This legislator from Odisha hogged the full-frame in the year 2016. A BJD MLA from Begunia then, the video of his 'Mukka Laat' (Fisticuffs-cum-Kicks) at Manamunda in Boudh district went viral - the grab showed the MLA, a Corporator along with some party workers unleashing themshelves on a group of saffron workers with black flags in hand. All this melee happened in front of police personnel.
Here is how the former BJD legislator Prashant Jagdev donned the rowdy role in the Odisha political theatre. As per sources in the BJD party, Jagdev has a sort of 'Don' image in the Khordha district.
Despite half-a-dozen 'Muka-Laat' scenes without retakes, the ruling BJD had remained soft for a long time. In the 2019 elections, the party had shifted Jagdev from Begunia to Chilika in order to give a checkmate to BJP. The saffron party candidate Bibhuti Bhushan Harichandan had won the Assembly seat in 2014.
The long blessings from the powers that be seem to have emboldened the spirit of the legislator to revel in his 'Don' image. The Jagdev thriller continued. The long list is given below.
- November 2016: Lady tehsildar, Bolagrh, accused Jagdev of throwing a lantern and injuring her. She claimed then that incident took place when the lady officer was on duty and clearing land from the encroacher.
- January 2019: Former Begunia sarpanch lodged an FIR against the local MLA for 'threatening' in the presence of district officials.
- August 2020: A junior Engineer had registered a complaint with Chilika Development Authority (CDA) over misbehaviour by the local MLA Jagdev over the booking of ‘guest house’.
The Final Stroke
Time has come full circle. Like the viral video of 2016, another video grab hogged the show on September 9, 2021. The full-frame showed the BJD legislator beating up Balugaon Nagar BJP president Niranjan Sethi in front of the NAC office.
But luck ran out for the MLA this time. Taking cognisance of the visuals, BJD Supremo and CM Naveen Patnaik had issued a one-line suspension notice. Prashant Jagdev stands suspended from the ruling BJD since Sept 2021.
Social Servant To Macho Man - The Transformation
A look at the Affidavit filed with the Election Commission of India reveals that the legislator has listed his profession as social services and politics.
Jagdev's tryst with the rowdy fantasy dates back to the year 1992. And the man is known as Dus Numbri legislator in Odisha. A high of ten grave criminal cases has been pending against him.
His Rowdy Sheet is given below.
- The GRP Khordha had registered a criminal case in 1992 against Jagdev under many IPC sections and section 146 of Indian Railway Act. The grave IPC section slapped was 506 - Punishment for criminal intimidation, which entails a jail term for 2 years.
- As per the affidavit, charges have been framed in the case in the SDJM court Khordha.
- Section 146 Indian Railway Act: Wilfully obstructing railway servant in his duties. Carries a jail term of 6-months.
- Likewise, cases have been filed in the years 2014, 2016 (Mamamunda), 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- The chronology shows a case a year against the MLA.
As stated in the affidavit to the ECI, the legislator had filed the following reply.
- Offence for obscene songs (Vulgarity)
- Being a member of an unlawful assembly
- Voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty
- Voluntarily causing grievous hurt
- Wrongfully restraining/confining any person
- Assault or use of criminal force on women with the intent to outrage her modesty
- Theft, Mischief by fire/explosive with intent to destroy a house
- Criminal intimidating SC/ST
- Keeping unauthorised Arms
On March 12, 2022: BJP workers were in large numbers before the Banapur Block office. Police personnel present there advised the MLA not to move ahead, But with the MLA on wheels, he straightaway drove into the crowd injuring 22, including cops on duty.
In a change of scene, the irate crowd charged on the Jagdev with full force leaving him grievously injured.
The Odisha police have slapped grave sections of IPC (302) like culpable homicide amounting to murder, intent to hurt grievously that endangers life (sec 320), Section 324 (for using the vehicle as a weapon of offence) etc.
Why The Culmination Point?
The affidavit hints at how Prashant Jagdev has become a Dus Numbri in the State. He has 10 criminal cases with grave charges slapped. In many cases, the punishment goes for at least 2-years.
As per the Affidavit to ECI, the MLA has clearly mentioned that he has not been convicted in a single case. In only one case (1992), charges have been framed. But in the other 9 cases, framing of charges is on the waiting list.
According to SC Judgement, a person is ineligible to contest elections if he/she is convicted in a criminal case where a jail term of two or more years is awarded.