Cyclone Jawad is petering out fast. The cyclone has turned into a depression when it lay centred at over 355 km from Vishakapatnam at around the mid-day today. The way the cyclonic system is getting sheared by the high wind shear, the system will turn into a low pressure area when it reaches near Odisha coast.
As per the latest model data of NCEP, ACCESS-G3, JTWC and INCOIS, the system's wind speed has dropped to around 55kmph. Moreover, Odisha may not see very heavy rainfall as Jawad's highly convective rain-bearing clouds are now bordering its northeast quadrant, where the wind shear is low.
Since Odisha lies in the northwest quadrant of the cyclonic system, the State might not witness very heavy rainfall as predicted by all lead weather forecasting agencies, including India's IMD.
As the system will get degraded to a low pressure area, the wind speed will also get greatly reduced to 31 kmph, when it come knocking Odisha's coastal regions.
Moreover, as the system is moving very slowly, the degraded Cyclone Jawad will reach Odisha coast the morning hours of December 5 (Sunday).
This has come as a big relief for the people in the State as the forecast of heavy to extremely heavy rainfall has instilled a sort of panic. Moreover, the big relief is for the farmers as their standing crops will not get washed away by very heavy rainfall.
In the changed scenario, how much it will impact Odisha is given below.
- No heavy rain in all the coastal districts in the State.
- But moderate rainfall will continue till midnight in Puri, Cuttack, Bhubaneswar, Khordha, some places in interior Odisha like Kandhamal, Balangir.
- Moderate rain in Puri, Bhubaneswar and Cuttack districts will be back on Sunday morning.
- Moderate rainfall was predicted for the districts of Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Bhadrak and Mayurbhanj on Sunday morning.
- Moderate to heavy rainfall will continue from the early morning hours and extend through the noon hours in Puri, Jagatsinghpur, Khordha and Cuttack districts.
- Rain predicted in Berhampur and Ganjam district on Sunday morning and noon hours.
- Heavy rainfall in Jagatsinghpur coastal places during the evening hours on Sunday.
- Light to moderate rainfall in Keonjhar and Mayurbhanj districts.
- Again from midnight on Dec 5, moderate to heavy rainfall predicted for districts like Puri, Khordha, Cuttack,Ganjam, Jagatsinghpur, Bhadrak, Kendrapada etc.
- No rainfall in Odisha is likely from midday on Monday (December 6).