The University Grants Commission (UGC) has asked the universities and colleges to strictly follow the standard operating procedure (SOP) issued by the Ministry of Defence for the upcoming Republic Day celebrations on January 26.
This year being the 75th year of Independence, the Republic Day will be celebrated under the broader ambit of "Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav."
“All the Higher Educational Institutions and their affiliated/constituent colleges/institutions are requested to follow the SOP as formulated by the Ministry of Defence in order to inculcate some best practices all across the nation while celebrating the forthcoming Republic Day and thereafter,” the UGC circular read.
SOP for celebrating for Republic Day in HIEs:
1. Flag Hoisting Programme:
-The Republic Day Flag Hoisting programme should end before 9.30 am
-Flag hoisting programme may be organized either in virtual format or physical Format, depending on the Covid situation
-All teachers/staff and students to participate
-Videos of National War memorial/Other information related to National War Memorial (NWM) may be used to disseminate information about NWM.
2. Craft Project for Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav
- As the country is celebrating 75 years of Independence, each HEIs to develop a Craft project on 75 Years of Independence and send them to Jawans on the Border.
- MoD to provide Central mechanism to send these projects to Jawans. If the HEIs are closed, students could be asked to do these activities from their homes. The project should use some waste material and emphasize concept of "Waste to Best" and "Waste to Wealth" Other Events:
- Virtual/Physical competition of debate/plays/essay writing/ class project leading to the Republic Day on 5 themes of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahaotsav to be conducted between January 10 and January 25. Announce and award winners on Republic Day event.
- HEIs may also organize quizzes around the theme of India's freedom struggle, gallantry awards, victories by our armed forces etc.
-In addition HEIs may like to do their own innovative set of activities too.
UGC has category asked the higher educational institutions to ensure that all guidelines issued time to time for Covid Management by the Central government/State Governments are duly followed.