The University Grants Commission (UGC) has requested all higher education institutions (HEIs) to implement the Academic Bank of Credits (ABC) on an urgent basis and suggested several measures to enhance the reach of the programme.
In a letter to Vice-Chancellors of all Universities, directors of HEls and Principals of autonomous colleges, the higher education regulator has asked institutions to make students aware of ABC facility and encourage and hand-hold them for opening Academic Bank Account on ABC portal (www.abc.gov.in).
The ABC platform has been developed by the National e-Governance Division (NeGD) of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) under DigiLocker framework, with facility/functionality of opening Academic Account by the students and on-boarding of Higher Educational Institutions.
The ABC will digitally store the academic credits earned by students from HEls registered with ABC, for awarding degree/Diploma /Certificates taking into account credits earned by students.
Besides, it will ensure the opening, closure, and validation of Academic Bank of Accounts, verification, accumulation, and transfer or redemption for students. It will facilitate students to choose their own learning path to attain a degree /Diploma /Certificates, working on the principle of multiple entry-multiple exit as well as anytime, any-where, and any-level learning.
To enhance the reach of the ABC programme, all HEIs are requested to take action on the following on urgent basis.
- Register your Institution on ABC (www.abc.gov.in).
- Upload data of Student Credits obtained during or after the academic year 2021-22.
- Make the students of your Institution aware about ABC facility and encourage and hand-hold them for opening Academic Bank Account on ABC portal (www.abc.gov.in).
- Create a hyperlink of ABC URL, i.e., www.abc.gov.in on your institutions’ respective website's home page.
- Depute the Nodal Officers for implementing ABC and reflecting their details on their websites.
- Higher Educational Institutions may insist their students to fill up ABC id on all examination form.