Hours after the detection of 24 new cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 on Wednesday, Odisha Special Relief Commissioner Pradeep Kumar Jena announced suspension of physical classes in schools across the State up to class 12.
The new restrictions will come into effect on January 7 and continue till February 1, 2022.
However, the Matriculation Assessment examination, which started from today in the State, will continue. Besides, online classes for the students will also continue.
In another containment measure, the SRC said the night curfew timings, which is presently from 10 PM to 5 AM, has now been extended by one hour in all urban areas- 9 PM to 5 AM.
He said that the spread of Omicron is three times faster than the Delta variant. In the last 4-5 days, alike other states, Odisha has also witnnessed a surge in positive cases. It seems, a new wave of Covid-19 has begun in Odisha, he said.
- A maximum of 100 people will be allowed to participate in government official meeting or training programme.
- Cinema halls will have to run with 50% capacity.
- Jatra and open air theatres will operate with only 1000 spectators.
- Roadside vendors, hotels and bars will be allowed to operate till 9 pm.
- In small shops and roadside outlets, only a maximum of five people should be allowed to stand at a time.
- Hotels and bars can accomodate only 50% of their seating capacity.
- Guests in marriages and thread ceremony reduced to 100.
- No cultural events, trade fair.
- No socio-religious and cultural events at any hotel, park and other public places.
Meanwhile, the SRC said that in case of any violation of guidelines at mall and shop, the owner of the same will be responsible and as per the Pandemic Act and the concerned outlet will be shut down for 7 days. He also issued stern warning against any kind of picnic in public and tourist places.
Earlier today, 24 more cases of the Omicron variant were detected in the State, taking the tally to 61. Of the new Omicron cases, 5 positives were foreign returnees while 19 others are cases of local contacts.