The Odisha government on Tuesday ordered all local administrative authorities to enhance precautionary surveillance measures as several states in the country stare at a fresh surge of Covid cases which has triggered concerns over a fourth wave of the pandemic.
The Directorate of the Public Health through a letter highlighted several guidelines for immediate implementation by Municipal Commissioners, Collectors and Chief District Medical Officers of all districts.
The following guidelines are issued for reference to COVID-19 management at present.
1. Evidence-based decision making: At the district level there should be constant review of emerging data, based on a sustained and critical level of testing to facilitate decision for restriction/ relaxation which should be evidence based.
2. There should be constant review regarding emergence of new cases / clusters, case positivity, population affected, geographical spread of cases and hospital infrastructure preparedness.
3. ILI/SARI surveillance should be continued as before and an early warning system of detecting rise of cases should be monitored.
4. A close vigil on people coming from high burden countries / states to be continued.
5. Periodic surveillance of high-risk and vulnerable population like Health Care providers, educational institutions, residential hostels etc.
6. There should be in-house strengthening of testing, surveillance and treatment mechanism to face any upsurge of cases and to integrate it to comprehensive health care system.
7. Testing - Tracking - Treatment- Vaccination and Covid Appropriate Behaviour are the main strategy for management and has to be strengthened. Testing strategy is to be followed as per the latest ICMR guideline. (Issued on 10.01.22 version VII)
8. WGS of positive cases are to be carried out as per guidelines issued from time to time.
9. All steps should be taken to ensure that Home Isolation Protocol is followed scrupulously and due treatment provision is in place.
10. All Non-Covid health care services are to be fully operationalised.
11. Ensure vaccination coverage to all beneficiaries as per guidelines issued from time to time.
12. Community engagement and covid appropriate behaviour:- Adequate IEC, community sensitization and information sharing system should be in place to prevent misinformation and panic.
13. A contingency action plan for the district should be ready to deal with any upsurge of cases.
14. Ensure participation of the community in adhering to Covid appropriate behaviours.
- Face covering: Wearing of face cover is compulsory in public places, in workplaces and during transport.
- Social distancing: Individuals must maintain an adequate distance in public places, workplaces and avoid overcrowding.
- Spitting in public places: To be discouraged
- Screening & Hygiene: Provision of hand wash or sanitizer to be made mandatory at workplaces.
- Ventilation: Proper ventilation to be ensured, particularly in closed spaces.