As we are all set to enter the New Year 2023 in a few hours, it is better to be aware of bank holidays beforehand and plan our finances and payments accordingly. Depending on different states, banks in India will observe a number of holidays this month. So, it is important for all the customers to be informed.
First, let’s take a look into the number of bank holidays in the month of January 2023 for Odisha:
• January 1 – Sunday (Banks will remain closed on January 1 due to New Year’s Day)
• January 8 – Sunday
• January 14 – Second Saturday
• January 15 – Sunday
• January 22 – Sunday
• January 26 – Banks will be closed across the country due to Republic Day
• January 28 – Fourth Saturday
• January 29 – Sunday
However, banks across India will be closed for up to 14 days including second and fourth Saturdays as well as Sundays. Many of the bank holidays are state-specific as the RBI has placed the holidays under three brackets:
1. Holiday Under Negotiable Instruments Act
2. Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act and Real-Time Gross Settlement Holiday
3. Banks’ Closing of Accounts.
Here's the full list of Bank holidays in January 2023 across India:
*Jan 1: Sunday & New Year’s Day
*Jan 2: Banks will remain closed in Aizawl due to New Year’s Celebration.
*Jan 3: Banks will remain closed in Imphal due to Imoinu Iratpa.
*Jan 4: Banks will remain closed in Imphal due to Gaan-Ngai
*Jan 8: Sunday
*Jan 14: Second Saturday
*Jan 15: Sunday
*Jan 16: Banks will remain closed in Chennai due to Thiruvalluvar Day
*Jan 17: Banks will remain closed in Chennai due to Uzhavar Thirunal
*Jan 22: Sunday
*Jan 23: Banks will remain closed in Kolkata due to Netaji's Birth day
*Jan 26: Banks closed across the country due to Republic Day
*Jan 28: Fourth Saturday
*Jan 29: Sunday