Pradeep Pattanayak

Tension flared up at the Government Upper Primary School in Bahakandia village under Sadar Police limits of Kendrapara district after a Class III student suffered severe burn injuries when he allegedly fell on a pot filled with hot rice gruel on Thursday. The injured student is undergoing treatment at Kendrapara District Headquarters Hospital (DHH). His condition is stated to be stable. 

As per reports, like any other day, the children of Bahakandia and nearby villages went to the Upper Primary School today morning. It is said that the classroom for Class III is near the kitchen, where mid-day meal is cooked for the students. Today morning, after cooking rice for the students, the cook had kept the hot gruel in a pot. When a student of Class III was coming out of his classroom, his feet slipped in the gruel spilled on the floor and he fell on the pot, leaving him severely injured. 

As the news spread, the injured student's family members and villagers thronged the school, holding the school authorities responsible for the mishap. 

The injured student was immediately rushed to Kendrapara DHH. The doctors treating him said he has blisters on his lower back portion but is out of danger. 

No comments were received from the school authorities.

  • Reported by: