Rashmi Ranjan

Over 25 employees of a prawn processing plant located at Khantapada in Balasore district fell sick after inhaling leaked ammonia gas at the factory on Wednesday evening.

According to sources, while some of the employees were admitted to Khantapada community health center, some seriously ill patients have been shifted to Balasore DHH for advanced treatment.

The reason behind the leak is yet to be ascertained.

Speaking to reporters, an employee of the factory said, “Luckily I was on leave today, so I was spared. But almost all the employees working the shift fell sick after the leak. I got a phone call from the factory and rushed to the medical. I think all the injured have been shifted to Balasore medical.”

Notably, a similar ammonia leak had occurred in another sea-food processing plant in Khantapada on November 13, 2019 where more than 90 employees were taken ill.