As many as three students travelling in a school van were critically injured after the radiator of the vehicle exploded in Marshaghai area of Kendrapada district on Wednesday.
Sources said the three children are students of Class 2 and 3 at an English Medium School in Marshaghai and aged between five and seven years.
The trio was returning home from the school in a school van when the mishap occurred. As per sources, the driver of the vehicle noticed the radiator leaking and the overheated coolant spilling out of the lid. He then tried to stop the engine and stepped out of the vehicle along with the students when the radiator suddenly exploded.
The hot water from the radiator splashed on the students, injuring them seriously.
Hearing the blast, locals immediately rushed to rescue the students and shifted them to a hospital in Marshaghai.
While the parents of the students have claimed that the van carrying the students belongs to the school, the school authorities have denied owning the vehicle.
When asked, the Block Education Officer said that Transport and Police officials will be asked to conduct a probe into the incident and find out the fitness, ownership and other details of the vehicle.