Advertisment

Five Naxals killed in ‘Operation Black Forest-2’ along Chhattisgarh–Telangana border

Five Naxalites were killed on Friday as security forces launched ‘Operation Black Forest-2’ in the Karregutta forest area along the Chhattisgarh–Telangana border, officials said.

author-image
Srijata Mishra
Five Naxals killed in ‘Operation Black Forest-2’

Five Naxals killed in ‘Operation Black Forest-2’ (AI Enhanced) Photograph: (File)

Five Naxalites were killed on Friday as security forces launched ‘Operation Black Forest-2’ in the Karregutta forest area along the ChhattisgarhTelangana border, officials said.

Advertisment

The large-scale anti-Maoist operation was initiated following intelligence inputs about the presence and possible gathering of Maoist cadres in the forested region. On the first day of the offensive, security personnel engaged in an exchange of fire, resulting in the deaths of five Naxalites. Their identities had not been established at the time of filing this report.

A substantial quantity of explosives was also seized during the ongoing operation.

Advertisment

Massive Deployment

More than 2,000 security personnel have been deployed for the operation, which is focused on flushing out Maoists from the Karregutta forest, a relatively small but strategically significant patch of forest land currently surrounded by security forces.

Officials estimate that nearly 150 Maoists may be present in the area. Security forces are maintaining a tight perimeter, and helicopters may be pressed into service if required to support ground operations.

Reference to 2025 Offensive

The fresh offensive follows a major operation conducted in the same forest stretch between April 21 and May 11, 2025. That 21-day-long operation involved nearly 10,000 personnel, including forces from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), District Reserve Guard (DRG), Special Task Force (STF) of Chhattisgarh, and Telangana Police.

During last year’s operation, 31 Naxalites were killed. Security forces also seized approximately Rs 1.72 crore in cash and drove around 214 Maoists out of the area. A total of 405 landmines were recovered, along with 899 bundles of cordex wire, 818 gelatin sticks, and a large quantity of detonators and other explosives.

Additionally, security personnel recovered around 12,000 quintals of food items allegedly stockpiled by Maoists. However, senior Maoist leaders, including Hidma, reportedly managed to escape during that operation.

March 2026 Deadline in Focus

Security forces have intensified anti-Maoist operations in line with the government’s stated target of achieving a “Maoist-Free India” by March 31, 2026.

Officials indicated that Operation Black Forest-2 is expected to continue for approximately 15 days. Security agencies are engaged in continuous planning and coordination to counter any retaliatory attacks and dismantle the Maoist presence in the region.

Also Read: Odisha Police launch ‘Catch Maoists, Get Rewarded’ drive, to offer cash incentives for information on Maoist cadres

The situation remains under close monitoring as combing operations continue in the forested border area.

Telangana Chhattisgarh
Advertisment
Advertisment
Cricket