No need to give biometric at telecom store as Aadhaar-SIM linking soon through OTP
Bhubaneswar: Starting December 1, 2017, linking of 12-digit Unique Identity Number (UID) with mobile SIM can be done through one-time password (OTP) received on mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
The Department of Telecom has introduced three new methods – OTP based, app-based and IVRS facility to link the registered mobile number with Aadhaar.
The new facility will help subscribers verify or re-verify their mobile numbers from anywhere in the country.
Telecom operators were also directed to offer verification facility at doorsteps for the convenience of subscribers with disability, illness or old age.
How to link Aadhaar and mobile number using OTP:
- Someone needs to message Aadhaar number from registered mobile number to a designated number provided by service providers
- Service providers will conduct a demographic verification of the Aadhaar number.
- After the verification, service provider will send OTP request to UIDAI.
- UIDAI will then send the OTP on the mobile number
- The user will send this OTP to the designated mobile number
- The e-KYC verification process gets complete with this
The Aadhaar-based e-KYC is mandatory for subscribers getting new SIMs.
The Central government also asked mobile operators to re-verify existing prepaid and postpaid customers with the help of the 12-digit unique identity number. The re-verification process will complete by early 2018.