Kashmir Turmoil: Omar, Mehbooba Under House Arrest In Srinagar
Srinagar: Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Ministers Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti will not be allowed to move out of their houses as strict restrictions are imposed in the Kashmir Valley from early Monday morning, police sources said.
National Conference leader Abdullah had earlier on Sunday night expressed apprehension that he was going to be placed under house arrest along with other mainstream leaders, while Peoples Democratic Party chief Mehbooba Mufti had called the development “ironic”.
“I believe I’m being placed under house arrest from midnight tonight & the process has already started for other mainstream leaders. No way of knowing if this is true but if it is then I’ll see all of you on the other side of whatever is in store. Allah save us.
“To the people of Kashmir, we don’t know what is in store for us but I am a firm believer that what ever Almighty Allah has planned it is always for the better, we may not see it now but we must never doubt his ways. Good luck to everyone, stay safe & above all PLEASE STAY CALM,” Abdullah said in a series of tweets.
Mehbooba Mufti, who tweeted about hearing “reports about internet being snapped soon including cellular coverage” and “curfew passes being issued”, posted: “God knows what awaits us tomorrow. It’s going to be a long night.”
“In such difficult times, I’d like to assure our people that come what may, we are in this together & will fight it out. Nothing should break our resolve to strive for what’s rightfully ours.”
Subsequently, Mehbooba Mufti tweeted: “How ironic that elected representatives like us who fought for peace are under house arrest. The world watches as people & their voices are being muzzled in J&K. The same Kashmir that chose a secular democratic India is facing oppression of unimaginable magnitude. Wake up India”.
Meanwhile, restrictions have been imposed across the Kashmir Valley from early Monday. “Government has imposed restrictions under section 144 CrPC in District Srinagar with effect from 1200 Hrs on 5th August 2019 which shall remain in force till further orders.
“As per the order, there shall be no movement of public and all educational institutions shall also remain closed. There will be a complete bar on holding any kind of public meetings or rallies during the period of operation of this order. Identity cards of essential services officials will be treated as movement passes wherever required.
“However, there is no curfew in place as reported in a section of media,” an official statement said.
All universities in the Valley have ordered cancellation of class work and exams scheduled on Monday without announcing any future dates for the same.
Mobile internet facility was been snapped across the state and sources said that even call facility on cell phones are likely to be cut soon, adding that this was being done to prevent anti-social elements from spreading rumours.
All police stations, district and sector magistrates deputed on law and order duties have been provided satellite phones to maintain official communications.