Bhubaneswar/New Delhi: Keeping mindful of latest rights and rules that passengers should be aware of when claiming refund on cancelled tickets is of utmost importance. Below are some of the most basic pointers to note while looking to reclaim your refund money.
At present, train tickets can be cancelled across ticket counters, IRCTC website and through 139.
- When the passenger cancels the train ticket through IRCTC website or 139 then he can collect the refund amount from the reservation counter. For this, the he must surrender the original journey ticket within the given time duration.
- In case the passenger cancels the ticket online then the refund amount would be credited to the passenger/customer’s bank account within duration of 5 days while in case of cancellation across the counter then the refund amount will be paid across the counter within 7 days. Passengers must caution that if they are booking tickets through credit/debit cards using POS then their refund would not be provided through counters.
- If at any time during the journey, the air conditioning system of the AC coach stops functioning then difference of fare between AC and non AC class of travel for the portion travelled without AC will be refunded across the counter only after submission of a certificate obtained from Guard/TTE of the train.
- For unused tickets there are also some other important points to remember. During cases of natural disasaters liek flood, agitation etc. And when the passenger is not able to reach the reservation counter within the given duration of time then he can file Ticket Deposit Receipt (TDR) within 3 and then apply to CCM for fare refund. Generally refund is granted within 90 days.
- It is to be noted that in case of lost or misplaced tickets, no refund will be granted. In case the authenticity of a torn or mutilated ticket is verifiable, then the refund will be granted on the basis of the particulars that are visible on the face of the ticket.
- In case the lost or misplaced ticket has confirmed/RAC status then a duplicate permit travel on the same reservation will be issued within the given time limit but it will be ensured only on payment of charges.
- No refund will be entertained in case of cancellation of a confirmed tatkal ticket.
- An e-ticket cannot be cancelled after the chart has been prepared. In such a case, the online TDR filing can be used to track the status of refund through IRCTC.
- In case the e-ticket is for a family/party, where some passengers have confirmed reservation while others are RAC or waiting, then full refund, less clerkage, will be allowed only for confirmed passengers and if the ticket is cancelled online and TDR is filed for all the passengers within thirty minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.