Bhubaneswar: The Education Ministry on Thursday put an end to the suspense over conducting the NEET UG exam 2020 and the JEE Main exam 2020 by reiterating that the exams will be held in Septmeber.
Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank said that there the conduct of NEET and JEE exams in September will help students save one academic year.
"NTA DG told me that 7.5 lakhs out of 8.58 lakhs candidates in JEE have downloaded admit cards. For NEET, over 10 lakhs out of 15.97 lakhs candidates downloaded admit cards in 24 hrs. It shows that students want that exams are held at any cost, Pokhriyal told ANI.
He further said that JEE exam centres have been increased to 660 from 570 while there are now 3,842 NEET centres, up from 2,546 for the convenience of students and students have also been allotted exam centres of their choice.
"The safety and career of students are important for us. These exams got postponed twice in the past. Even the Supreme Court has in its decision said that we can't spoil academic year of the students," he added.
Pokhriyal had earlier said that has said that a silent majority of students want the exams to be held as per the scheduled dates in September.
The Centre's decision to go ahead with NEET and JEE exams amid the Covid-19 pandemic had angered students and parents with people from all walks of protesting and terming the move as anti-student.
The National Testing Agency had earlier said that though there is currently a pandemic situation, life has to go on and the career of students cannot be put in peril for long and a full academic year cannot be wasted.
Chief ministers of seven states earlier met interim chief of Congress, Sonia Gandhi via videoconferencing raised strong objections against the decision to go ahead with NEET and JEE Main in September.