CBSE Class 10, 12 Compartment Exam Cancellation Plea: SC Issues Notice To Board
File Pic for Representational Purpose
New Delhi/Bhubaneswar: The Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on petitions filed seeking cancellation of compartment exam.
The petition was filed by students of class 10 and 12 for the cancellation of the compartment exam, which is conducted for those who fail or want improvement in the subjects they appeared.
A three-judge bench headed by Justice AM Khanwilkar issued notice to CBSE while directing the Board to file its response by September 7. The apex court will hear the case next on September 10.
As per reports, around 1.5 lakh Class 10 students and about 87,000 class 12 students are likely to appear for the compartment exam.
Meanwhile, the Board told the SC that it may conduct compartment examination for the students of Classes 10 and 12 by September end and the examination centres have been increased to 1,278.
CBSE further informed the SC that it will make all arrangements to seat only 12 students in a single classroom due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Earlier in a notification, CBSE Examination Controller Sanyam Bhardwaj had said, “Optional examination for class 12 students whose result has been declared based on the assessment scheme and wish to improve their performance, are proposed to be conducted in September, along with the compartment examination for both class 10 and 12 students. Dates will be announced soon.”
He further said, “The marks obtained by a candidate in these optional examinations will be treated as final for those who have opted to take these examinations.”