• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Telegram
  • Youtube
  • otv
Odishatv Bureau

London: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Friday that he has tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19).

"Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus," he said on Twitter.

"I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government's response via video-conference as we fight this virus."

Shortly after UK PM Johnson announced he had tested positive for coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock also said that he was also infected with the disease.

"Following medical advice, I was advised to test for #Coronavirus.

"I've tested positive. Thankfully my symptoms are mild and I'm working from home & self-isolating.

"Vital we follow the advice to protect our NHS & save lives#StayHomeSaveLives," he said in in a tweet.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also tweeted wishing his UK counterpart good health.

The 41-year-old Hancock, who had succeeded Jeremy Hunt as Secretary of State for Health in 2018, is not the only one in the key ministry to be diagnosed Covid-19.

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Mental Health, Suicide Prevention and Patient Safety Nadine Dorries had earlier this month announced she was self-isolating herself after testing positive for Covid-19. She has since recovered and returned to Parliament on March 24 to be greeted by a round of applause.

Earlier on Wednesday, Britain’s Prince Charles had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The 71-year-old heir to the British throne is self-isolating in Scotland with wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who has tested negative for the deadly virus which has claimed 422 lives in the UK.

“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus,” the Clarence House statement read.

“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual, it notes.

Read: Coronavirus Cases In Italy Cross 74,000 With More Than 7,503 Fatalities

In keeping with social distancing advice during the pandemic, Charles has been noticeably using ‘Namaste’ as a greeting rather than a handshake when seen in public over the last few weeks, including during an event to mark Commonwealth Day on March 9 at Marlborough House in London.

His wife Camilla, 72, was seen wearing long black gloves during the same event.

“The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland, Clarence House said.

The Royals were tested on Monday after they had flown out to Scotland in a jet on Sunday and the royal couple have remained there since then.

The statement adds: “The tests were carried out by the NHS (National Health Service) in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.

It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”

Charles last met 93-year-old Queen Elizabeth II “briefly” on March 12, who has been based at Windsor Castle for nearly a week now.

Her Majesty the Queen remains in good health and is following appropriate advice, Buckingham Palace said.

Also Read: COVID-19 Outbreak: G20 Announces $5 Trillion To Deal With Coronavirus Crisis

Prince Charles‘ last public event was a reception and dinner in aid of the Australian bushfire relief effort on March 12, which took place at Mansion House in London.

Earlier that day, he had attended an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London, where he also greeted recipients with a ‘namaste’ due to concerns building around the spread of the pandemic.

(With Agency Inputs)

Other Stories

scrollToTop