Bhubaneswar: As many as eight shops were reduced to ashes in a massive fire that broke out at a vending zone near Madusudan Park in Pokhariput area in the city at around 10 am on Sunday.
The exact reason behind the fire has not been immediately known though short circuit is believed to have caused the ignition and subsequent spread.
Some vendors suspect that the fire could have spread from a shop located close to a dumping bin.
Around 10 to 12 shops including fruits, vegetable and grocery shops were functioning in the roadside vending zone.
Some shop owners said they came to know about the incident hour after the fire broke out.
No loss of life has been reported as the shops had remained closed, reports said.
Fire services personnel rushed to the spot and are trying to control the blaze.
“Eight roadside shops were affected in the fire. Two fire tenders from Kalpana fire station were pressed into services, who successfully extinguished the fire,” a statement issued by Assistant Fire Officer stated.
The vendors who eke out a living from the shops have incurred heavy losses after goods worth lakhs reduced to ashes in the mishap.
The incident has raised concern among locals as it took place when the city wore a deserted look due to shutdown restrictions.
Though the damage caused by the fire mishap has not immediately been assessed, vendors suspect loss of properties to the tune of lakhs of rupees.