Mubaraks trial to be held in Cairo
Cairo: Deposed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will go on trial next week in Cairo`s huge Convention Centre, just yards away from the Presedntial palace from where he lorded over his country`s destiny for over three decades, the justice ministry announced.
The proceedings would be open to public as the convention centre can seat hundreds, state-run news agency MENA reported quoting the officials who said the trial would open on August 3.
The official announcement came as thousands of people trooped back into Cairo`s iconic Tahrir Square in a unity march of secular and islamists forces who were demanding an early trial of Mubarak, purge of his supporters and end to military trial of civilians.
Along with Mubarak in the dock would be his two sons Alaa and Gamal and his infamous interior minister Habib-al-Adil, the agency said.
MENA quoted the Health Minister Amr Hilmy as declaring "Mubarak is in appropriate health condition for him to be tried in Cairo."
Hilmy told reporters that the 83-year-old former president is well enough to be moved from hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm al-Sheik, where he is under arrest, to Cairo.
The official announcement said that Mubarak would face charges of corruption and ordering the killing of protesters during the uprising that toppled him in February.
Ahead of the much-awaited trial, the Egyptian authorities have thrown a huge security ring around the covention centre and also erected a huge metal defendents cage for the safety of VVIP prisoners.
Deputy Justice Minister Mohammad Munies told MENA that the final decision had been taken to hold the trial at the convention centre, normally a venue for fairs and expos.
Officials said the trial room would have stadium style seatings for the public.
Authorities are also erecting huge joint screens around the convention centre to allow more of public to watch the trial.