Bravo quits Tests after four years in wilderness
Port of Spain: West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has announced his retirement from Test cricket, after four years in the wilderness and just weeks after being sacked from the One-Day International (ODI) squad.
The 31-year-old has played 40 Tests but had not suited up for the West Indies since December 2010, when the West Indies toured Sri Lanka, reported CMC.
He was recently axed as one-day captain and dropped from the team for the tour of South Africa as well as the ICC World Cup in Australia and New Zealand next month.
In a statement late Friday, Bravo said he had already informed the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) of his decision to retire from Tests but said he had made clear his desire to continue playing ODIs and Twenty20s.
“Over the years, with the greatest enthusiasm, I have done my best, with the deep awareness that I am ultimately representing the people of the game,” Bravo said.
“I recognise that this is a difficult time for all of us. Our people of the region have seen and enjoyed great cricketing days but we will not return to glory until we agree to go forward with our love for the game and the respect of the administrators, players and the public.”
Bravo made his international debut back in 2004 in an ODI against England and developed into the region’s leading all-rounder at one stage.
He came to be known for his effervescent medium pace and brilliant outfielding, with a safe pair of hands, and effective batting down the order.
Overall in Tests, he compiled 2,200 runs at an average of 31 with three centuries – with a best of 113 against Australia in 2005.
He bagged 86 wickets at an average of nearly 40.
The Trinidadian was appointed captain of the ODI team in 2013, replacing Darren Sammy.
He then played a key role as players’ spokesman on the controversial abandoned tour of India, where he clashed with the West Indies Cricket Board and the players’ union, WIPA, last October.
He was subsequently dropped for the one-day tour of South Africa and the World Cup, prompting claims of victimisation from several quarters.
Bravo said he had tasted both success and “the devastating pain of defeat” during his career but had also accumulated “joyous memories”.
“I have experienced the exhilarating joy of victory and the devastating pain of defeat. The joyous memories will remind me of what we are capable of achieving. I want to be part of that mission,” Bravo said in the statement.
“I thank the cricketing fraternity for their support and look forward to serving you with determination and the pride of being a West Indian.”
Bravo recently signed a year-long retainer contract with the WICB.