BCCI’s hasty probe comes under attack
New Delhi: A day after its probe panel handed out clean chits to Indian Premiere League owners in the spot-fixing scandal, the BCCI on Monday came under sharp attack for not taking police inputs before completing its "hasty" investigations, prompting fresh calls for the cash-rich body to be brought under Right to Information ambit.
Even as the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) defended the report of its probe panel, the Sports Ministry made it clear that it does not give much importance to the verdict and would rather wait for the police investigations to get over.
"The BCCI might have cleared them but I think the Indian Cricket Board should wait for the police probe to get over," Sports Secretary P K Deb said.
The decks were Sunday cleared for President-in-exile N Srinivasan's possible return to the BCCI top post after a two-judge probe panel found no evidence against his team Chennai Super Kings.
The two-member panel, comprising former High Court Judges T Jayaram Chouta and R Balasubramanian, had submitted its report to the BCCI Working Committee which met in Kolkata Sunday. The two former judges found no evidence of any wrongdoing against Raj Kundra, India Cements and Rajasthan Royals.
The BCCI faced the heat for not waiting for the police reports before completing its probe on the spot-fixing and betting scandal which rocked the sixth edition of the IPL.
"Why was there such a haste to complete the investigations? The BCCI should have waited for other investigative agencies to give their inputs," said Y P Singh, a former police officer-turned-advocate.
BCCI Vice-President Niranjan Shah said that the Board could not depend on the police report since the two-member commission was already on the job.
"I think we can't depend on police report as we had already constituted a commission and whatever the commission said is final," Shah said.
Shah reiterated that two-member probe panel had to continue the probe with whatever "available material".