AIBA allows India at WC’ships but asks IBF to hold re-election
Patiala: Indian boxers have been given the go ahead to participate in the October World Championships by AIBA but the world body has decided to bar them from any competition after that if the Indian Boxing Federation fails to conduct a re-election by November.
In an e-mail response to a PTI questionnaire, AIBA's Communication Director Sebastien Gillot said the decision to toughen the stand against the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) post the World Championships was taken at the world body's annual meeting last month.
"At its annual meeting held on July 16-18, 2013 in Jeju Island, Korea, the AIBA Executive Committee decided to ask the Indian Boxing Federation to organise new elections as soon as possible (within 3 months, thus no later than November 4, 2013) according to the AIBA Statutes and Bylaws as well as to the AIBA election guidelines, and in the presence of an Electoral Returning Officer who will oversee the whole election process," Gillot said.
"Until such time the above process is completed, the IBF is still provisionally suspended.
"All its membership rights have been suspended including the participation of Indian boxers and coaches in any AIBA competition from now on, except for any competition for which an authorisation to participate has already been granted, which is the case in respect of the AIBA World Boxing Championships Almaty 2013," he added.