Worker electrocuted to death while repairing transformer

Jharsuguda: A staffer of the Electricity department was electrocuted to death while fixing a fuse in a transformer in Rengali village under Lakhanpur block of the district today. The deceased has been identified as Kanhu Charan Sahu, a native of Saria in Chhattisgarh.

According to sources, Sahu was carrying out maintenance work at a transformer in Rengali village after getting a complaint of power cut. However, accidentally power supply was resumed through the electricity wire following which Sahu was charred to death.

After receiving information, the Rengali Police rushed to the spot and tried to douse the flames along with villagers. Later a team of Lakhanpur Fire Services department reached the spot and doused the fire.

Earlier, Sahu had informed the Panchagaon substation office about the fuse work, added sources.

Following the mishap, locals staged a road blockade near Panchagaon demanding compensation for kin of the deceased.

“After the death of the worker, we also feel unsecured here. We demand the district Collector, SP and concerned officials of the Electricity department should visit the spot and investigate the matter. We also demand Rs 10 lakh compensation for the kin of the deceased. We will continue our protest until the demands are met,” said a villager.

“The body has been sent for post-mortem and we have informed the family members of the deceased. We will try to provide compensation to the kin of the deceased,” informed Inspector-in-Charge of Rengali Police Station Pratap Chandra Rana.