Two killed, 2 critical after consuming wild mushrooms

Mayurbhanj: Two persons including a woman died while two others were taken ill after consuming wild mushrooms at Kainphulia village under Betnoti block of the district. All of the four belonged to the same family.

As per sources, after having mushroom curry, some members of the family complained of nausea and diarrhoea. However since the area did not have a healthcare centre, the other family members sought help from a local quack. A few hours later, one Laxman Majhi of the family died. His sister-in-law Laxmi Majhi died in the wee hours today .

The husband of the woman and their son were however rescued and rushed to Betnoti hospital where they are currently undergoing treatment.

Food poisoning due to consumption of the wild mushrooms and lack of awareness is believed to be the reason behind the death. A team of doctors have reached the village to take stock of the situation.

Several incidents of food poisoning due to consumption of wild mushrooms have been reported from the area in the past.

}