Student Dies After Immunization In Rourkela; Parents Allege Vaccine Misadministration

Rourkela: A class 5 student allegedly died after being administered wrong vaccine in Rourkela last night. As per report, Sumanjit Pradhan, a class 5 student studying in Mahima Vidya Mandir, in the Steel City fell ill after he was allegedly administered an anganwadi-supplied Tetanus Diphtheria vaccine in his school. He was immediately rushed to Ispat General Hospital (IGH) in Rourkela but he succumbed while undergoing treatment.

Parents of the boy have accused the school authorities and the health department of administering wrong vaccine and subsequently causing his death. After the matter came to fore, locals gheraoed the school today demanding compensation of Rs 15 lakh for the aggrieved family of the boy.

Meanwhile, the Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) Pankaj Patel has ordered an enquiry into the incident and also stopped the immunization drive in all schools of Sundergarh district until further notice. The state government has also formed a high level team to investigate the matter today.

A six-member committee has been formed to launch an investigation into the case. “The patient started to vomit in the afternoon while was playing. He died on the way to IGH hospital. An investigation has been launched into the case.”

When contacted, no comment could be obtained from Panposh BDO regarding this matter.