Short circuit stalls assembly

Bhubaneswar: Proceedings of the Odisha Assembly was adjourned for half-an-hour today due to a burning odour and a short circuit in the house. The members cutting across partylines drew attention of the Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat about the smell during the zero hour.

The house will remain adjourned for 30 minutes due to an emergency, Amat said directing the Odisha Legislative Assembly (OLA) secretariat to check up the matter. Congress member Anup Sai was the first to sense the smell followed by agriculture minister Pradeep Maharathy and NCP legislature Party Leader Amar Prasad satpathy. All of them requested the Speaker to check the matter.

A detailed checking of electrical equipment in the premises found that smoke was emitting from a spark due to an electrical shot circuit in an adjacent room. The house reassembled after half-an-hour and functioned smoothly till 1 pm.