School girl dies, 5 hospitalised over suspected food poisoning in Gajapati

Gajapati: A minor girl student lost her life and 5 others were taken ill after suspected food poisoning at a residential school in S Maringi village of Gajapati district in the wee hours today.

As per reports, students of the school consumed rice, pulses and a sweet dish made from tomatoes as dinner yesterday. Later, a girl student studying in Class II started vomiting and complained of uneasiness along with high fever. She was rushed to the local hospital where she breathed her last. Five other students also complained of discomfiture and indigestion and had to be rushed to the hospital where they are undergoing treatment.

“The school warden called me at around 3 AM in the night and informed me about my daughter’s condition. She was vomiting and was suffering from high fever,” the father of the deceased student, Biswanatha Sabara said.

Briefing about the incident, Parlakhemundi District Welfare Officer Santosh Rath said, “We have sent the sick students to the hospital and have launched a probe into the incident. The deceased girl’s body is being examined and as soon as the report comes out, action will be taken accordingly.”