Sardar Rajas Medical College Fraud: Prime accused nabbed from Tamil Nadu

Bhubaneswar: On the run for several years, A. Johnsel Raja was nabbed by the officials of Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of Odisha Crime Branch on Friday in connection with the Sardar Raja’s Medical College and Hospital fraud in Kalahandi.

According to reports, Raja was the managing trustee of Selvam Educational and Charitable Trust which was running the Sardar Rajas Medical College and Hospital at Jaring.

As per reports, Selvam Educational and Charitable Trust had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Western Odisha Development Council (WODC) in 2004 for the medical college in Kalahandi.

The WODC had provided Rs 10 crore and requisite land for the medical project. However, it was alleged that despite getting all facilities, the Trust managed by Raja failed to complete the infrastructural works that was one of the pre-requisite for making the medical college and hospital operational.

Official sources said Raja had also obtained necessary permission from the Medical Council of India (MCI) for admissions to MBBS courses for 2013-14 academic session with the help of forged and fabricated documents.

After such irregularities came to light, MCI did not grant permission for admission to 2015-16 session.

“Despite knowing the fact that MCI would not grant permission for admissions, the accused had collected huge amount from students as capitation fee which was in violation of the terms and conditions,” said a senior official.

Sources said Raja had also allegedly collected money from nearly 124 students as caution money. However, the college was subsequently closed in mid-session and the college misappropriated the total money collected.

Earlier, Raja was arrested by a special EOW team from Nagercoil in Tamil Nadu on July 26. Though Raja was produced before the Judicial Magistrate, Nagercoil and was allowed on a transit remand, he had complained of illness and subsequently was admitted to Kanyakumari government hospital.

Later, Raja was shifted to Rajaji Medical College and Hospital on July 31 and was discharged from the hospital on August 2.

“The accused has been produced before the Junagarh JMFC court today,” said a senior EOW official.