Sabyasachi refutes receipt of joint statement copy

Bhubaneswar: Top naxal leader and Secretary of the State Organising Committee of CPI (Maoist) Sabyasachi Panda today denied having personally received any copy of the joint statement of the three government officials and Naxal-named two mediators. Though he acknowledged quoting reliable sources that the joint statement had mention about 13-point charter of demands raised by the Maoists.

 

Welcoming the government initiative to facilitate the release of five prisoners to secure the release of Italian national Paolo Bosusco, the naxal leader stated that  Maoists however had demanded the release of seven persons.

 

Ridiculing the statement of the Odisha Police Association regarding the release of the political prisoners in lieu of the freedom of Paolo, Sabyasachi stated that the police indulged in atrocities on innocent and poor tribals and daily wagers and the statement of the police official was purely reactionary only. He cited the example of Arati Majhi who he said was allegedly tortured and raped by security personnel. Sabyasachi alleged in the tape that the police indulged in false encounters in the name of combing operations against the Maoists.

 

The Maoist leader claimed that the rebels believed in democratic processes and the ultras would release Paolo Bosusco if the government was interested to resolve the hostage issue through dialogues.  

 

Sabyasachi in the wake of the end of the deadline on Tuesday had also denied having received any communication regarding the joint statement. The Daringbadi BDO later had told media that a copy of the statement had been sent to the Naxal leader through some local people. Panda in the audio tape had urged the government to clarify about the number of persons to be freed to secure the release of the Italian Paolo Bosusco held hostage since March 14.