Posco land acquisition continues

Paradip: Land acquisition for the proposed Rs 52,000 crore Posco steel plant in Jagatsinghpur district continued for the second day on Tuesday even as opponents of the project assembled in the vicinity for a showdown with the administration.

"Demolition of betel vines has almost reached the final stage and only 150 more vines will be demolished for which the people have given their consent. The process is continuing peacefully for the second day today," district Collector SK Mallick said.

According to sources the district administration has so far razed 12 betel vine yards and paid Rs 15 lakh as compensation to the land owners. 

 
While two teams are engaged to dismantle betel vines, another identfied trees which need to be removed as part of the land acquisition process of which 236 have been felled, sources added.
 
Meanwhile, angry over resumption of land acquisition, a large number project opponents held a meeting near Patna village to protest against the government move.

"The collector says that demolition of betel vines has reached the final stage. We also want to say the district administration that our fight has since reached the final stage and we will do whatever is possible to oust Posco come what may", said a leader of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti, spearheading the agitation against the mega steel project.

He said womenfolk in the area would chase the police force from the area while male would prevent the betel vines and trees being felled.

Meanwhile, leaders of eight political parties are scheduled to visit the area to extend support to the project opponents.

 

(With Agency inputs)