Polavaram row: SC rejects Odisha’s stay order plea
Bhubaneswar: In a major setback for the Odisha government, the Supreme Court on Monday refused to issue a stay order on the ongoing Polavaram project work.
The apex court today directed both the Odisha and Chhattisgarh governments to seek necessary information regarding the terms and condition for the public hearing and other related information of the project from Centre. The SC has also asked Centre to submit details of the land that will be submerged due to the project.
After submission of all the necessary details, the next hearing on the matter will be held in the first week of January 2019, the SC said.
“The SC has directed Centre to submit details on what impact the project will have on Odisha and Chhattisgarh as some changes have been made to the design of project. As the project has been modified, the court has also asked to submit details on the submersion of land due to the project. After getting all the necessary details, both the states can conduct public hearing,” said …… .
The Union government on Saturday had pulled out from carrying out public hearing in Odisha and Chhattisgarh and filed a petition seeking apologies and informed the SC that it had mistakenly given its approval for carrying out public hearing by employing special agencies.
The Supreme Court had earlier directed the Centre to submit terms and conditions for public hearing in both the states by December 1 and the latter had given its consent to it.