Patient dies after fall from hospital 3rd floor
Basant Sahoo, who was admitted in the hospital due to old age-related ailment and was supposed to be discharged this evening after recovery, died after slipping from a duct room of the private hospital, located near the Fire Station Square here.
The incident occured as Sahoo went to relieve himself at around 4:30 pm and mistook the unlocked duct room as the toilet, located within the general ward, police said adding all the main pipes, carrying sewage and water pass through the duct room.
The duct room existed near two toilets in the hospital. Angry over the incident, the relatives of the man manhandled some of the hospital staff alleging negligence.
Santosh Sahoo, the son of the victim, lodged an FIR at the Nayapally police station here demanding arrest of the hospital owner. "It is due to gross negligence by hospital management. The duct room was neither locked nor guarded. There was no signage on the door. Since it is located close to toilets, anybody would have been confused," Santosh said.
Hospital`s Managing Director Dr Shiba Nandan Pati, however, said "there was no negligence on our part. It was purely a mishap. Since repair work was on, the duct room was not locked. But we had cautioned patients and their attendants".
"We have received the complaint and are examining the charges," Nayapally police inspector Anup Kanungo said.