One electrocuted, 2 others critical in freak accident

Bhanjanagar: One person was killed while two others sustained critical injuries after coming in contact with high tension electric wire in Ganjam district today morning.

Sources said, the deceased Narayan Gouda of Jilundi village along with three other labourers was carrying iron rods onto the roof of an under-constructed building inside Mudulipalli panchayat office campus when one of the rods accidentally touched a 11 KV high tension wire running above the building.

Gouda was killed on the spot after directly coming in contact with the high voltage wire and the other three fell down the building after the electric shock.

While two of them named Jay Pradhan and Bikas Sethy of Mudulipalli village were severely injured and admitted to Bhanjanagar hospital, the third one Santosh Pradhan received minor wounds.

“Four of us were carrying rods over the roof when a rod came in contact with the electric wire just 5 feet away from us. As Gouda was close to the wire, he died on the spot and the rest of us fell from the roof and somehow escaped from the mishap,” fellow labourer and eye witness to the incident Santosh Pradhan said.