Advertisment

Netaji Jayanti invitation row: Breach of Privilege Notice issued to Cuttack collector

A breach of privilege notice has been issued to the Cuttack District Collector in connection with the controversy surrounding the Netaji Jayanti programme held in the city on January 23.

Netaji Jayanti invitation row: Breach of Privilege Notice issued to Cuttack collector

Netaji Jayanti invitation row: Breach of Privilege Notice issued to Cuttack collector Photograph: (File)

Advertisment

A breach of privilege notice has been issued to the Cuttack District Collector in connection with the controversy surrounding the Netaji Jayanti programme held in the city on January 23.

Advertisment

The notice was issued by the Director of the Rajya Sabha Secretariat following acceptance of a written complaint submitted to the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha by BJD MP Debashish Samantaray along with other party MPs. The communication was served to District Collector Dattatraya Bhausaheb Shinde through the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.

The complaint pertains to the Netaji Jayanti function attended by Vice-President of India and Rajya Sabha Chairman C.P. Radhakrishnan as chief guest. Samantaray alleged that he was not invited to the programme and termed the omission an insult to the Rajya Sabha. He had sought the issuance of a breach of privilege notice against the Collector.

Advertisment

Samantaray Reacts

Responding to the development, Samantaray said he had earlier apprised the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha about the matter.

“As per his direction, the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) will examine the incident. I have previously been invited to government programmes as per protocol. I do not know why this was done now,” he said.

Advertisment

The MP claimed that while an email invitation was sent, it was received at 8.30 pm on the eve of the programme, which was scheduled for the following morning. He further alleged that his name was neither included on the plaque nor mentioned in the formal invitation card.

“I hope the department examines the matter and takes appropriate steps. Protocol meant for public representatives should be respected,” he said.

Also Read: BJD MP seeks privilege notice in Parliament against Cuttack Collector

Further developments are awaited. No comments from Cuttack collector could be obtained over the matter.

BJD Cuttack Rajya Sabha Odisha
Related Articles
Advertisment
Here are a few more articles:
Read the Next Article