Kujang explosion accused narrates incident

Paradip: The main accused in the Kujang cracker explosion incident which took place on November 17 and so far has claimed four lives, Subhash Rout has finally broken his silence, of course before the Kujang police. A special squad of the Jagatsinghpur police had arrested Subhash a few days ago from a place about 30 kilometre from Pudduchery.

The Kujang police recorded the statement of Subhas on January 4. Subhas told the police that he worked as a rod binder in a firm named Sidhharth Constructions and  also doubled up as a professional banua(one who fires crackers for a living). Subhas said that he was paid an advance of Rs 1,000 by Sura Gochhayat and Prashant Swain for firing crackers during the rally of Biju Workers` Union scheduled for November 17.

All was well, according to Subhas`s statement, till the rally reached near the fish market at Kujang. The fireworks commenced at the fish market. According to Subhas, he ignited a rocket which was supposed to leave the card containing the names of BJD leaders Devashish Samantray and Bishnu Dash in the air. But as ill luck would have it, Subhas mentioned that the push bomb did not take off and instead exploded in the van itself carrying crackers. Subhas too was injured in the incident. Subhas admitted before the police that he fled away after treatment in a private nursing home in Cuttack.

As expected Subhas`s statement before the police has rekindled a fresh political controversy sorrounding Devashish Samantray and Bishnu Dash. Apart from the death of four persons, four other injured persons have been under treatement since the November 17 incident.