House reduced to cinders after electric short circuit in Athagarh

Cuttack: A house was reduced to cinders when a major fire broke out following a short circuit at Sadar Sahi under Kantol Police limits in Athagarh of Cuttack district late last night.

According to sources, the blaze originated around 3 AM and subsequently engulfed the entire house within a few minutes. Fortunately, the family members had a narrow escape, but sources said property worth lakhs of rupees were gutted in the mishap.

“We were all sleeping while my wife spotted the flames first. Then immediately with the help of our neighbors we tried to douse the flames but the intensity of the fire was so high that in no time it engulfed the entire house,” said Bhagirathi Nayak, house owner.

“There was no time to protect any of our belongings and we lost everything in the fire” said family member, Nayana Nayak.

By the time the fire tenders reached the spot, the entire house had been reduced to ashes, informed sources.  Meanwhile, the family members alleged that the district administration is yet to reach the spot to take stock of the situation.