Govt to de-link +2 from Higher Education
It was decided in a meeting chaired by Chief Secretary Bijay Kumar Patnaik on Tuesday that the government would take steps in this regard after the Higher Education department submits its report after two months.
“We would first review the existing infrastructure and the vacancy of teachers,” Chief Secy B K Patnaik said. Currently, there are eight government colleges where the intermediate class is functioning separately and about 2 lakh students are studying in various colleges at +2 level. The motive behind separating the +2 class from the higher education is to uplift the quality of education and to expand the higher secondary education in parallel with CBSE and ICSE pattern.
"A survey should be done for +2 to take stock of the existing infrastructure and new infrastructure," Secy Higher Education dept Dr Chandrasekhar Kumar said.
"We lack in infrastructure, library and lab materials," former Principal of BJB Junior College R N Panda said.
The decision came after the recommendations given by the task force that was constituted by the state government on October 07, 2009. The mandate of the task force was to prepare two annual plans for years 2010-11 and 2011-12, two five year perspective plans corresponding to the 12th and 13th plan periods as well as a draft higher education policy.
The task force in one of its key recommendations had mentioned that the +2 classes were needed to be separated from the degree colleges.
Following the recommendations the government during a meeting on June 10 last year had decided to de-link +2 level from higher education. The intermediate class would be governed by the Council of Higher Secondary Education.