Sambalpur: The district collector on Monday suspended a teacher of Girishchandrapur Sevasram School here for dereliction of duty for which a girl student of the school died after falling into a hot mid-day meal curry cauldron.
Jagdish Satapathy, who was entrusted with the responsibility of mid-day meals in the school, allegedly neglected his task that led to the unfortunate incident.
Sources said, on Saturday the eight-year-old Banita Kahnhar, a class III student of the tribal residential school, accidentally fell into the hot mid day meal curry vessel and sustained serious burn injuries. She was rushed to VSS medical college in a critical condition and later shifted to SCB medical college in Cuttack after her condition deteriorated further. However, she succumbed to her burns on Sunday.
Banita met the fatal accident when the students were jostling to get the curry while the mid-day-meal was being served in the school, sources added.
"The girl had sustained 70 per cent burn injuries, most of which were of third degree in nature as she remained unattended on the cooking bowl for a longer period," doctors at the SCB Medical College Hospital said.
The district administration paid Rs 10,000 for the cremation of the girl and assured to recommend for financial compensation from the Chief Minister's relief fund.
Besides, the administration has assured to enroll the name of the deceased’s mother as a cook for mid-day-meal preparation in the school.