Former Congress MLA, father sent to jail

Berhampur: Former Congress MLA of Sanakhemundi, Ramesh Jena, who was arrested in connection with the bombing at a local corporator’s house in February, was sent to jail today after the court rejected his bail plea.

Ramesh’s father Arikshit and three other associates were also sent to jail following rejection of their bail pleas.

Two cases have been registered against Jena and his father on charges of possession of weapons, bombing and criminal conspiracy.

Arakshit and two of Ramesh’s associates Bapi and Jaki were arrested today and forwarded to court along with the ex-MLA.

“The father-son duo have been booked under Sec 436, 120 (B), 212 IPC, and 3&4 of Explosive Substance Act,” said Nirmal Sahu, Ramesh’s counsel.

“The first case has been registered under section 436/34 IPC read with 3&4 of Explosive Substance Act. The second case has been lodged under GR 198/2016 25,1B-A of Arms Act. Ramesh’s father has been booked in the second case,” said government counsel Pradeep Behera.

Meanwhile, reacting to his arrest, Ramesh said “Everyone can see the injustice being done to me. Only God will deliver justice. All the charges and the evidence shown are totally false. The truth will only come out after proper inquiry.”

A team of Berhampur Police on Sunday arrested Jena along with his three associates from Bhubaneswar in connection with the February 29 bomb explosion in the house of a local corporator. Jena and his associates Bapi Panda, K Venket and Kalia Jena were arrested from an apartment in the State Capital and brought to Berhampur yesterday.

A top police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, had earlier said connections between Jena and the arrested Dhalasamant brothers cannot be ruled out and investigation is also on in this direction.

Meanwhile, DGP KB Singh has said Jena was involved in manufacturing of fake guthka, milk powder and tender fixing.

It may be mentioned here that before entering politics, Ramesh was involved in several criminal cases including murder. He was arrested earlier in 2011 but was granted bail by the Orissa High Court on the condition that he would not enter Berhampur without prior permission of city police.