Fire breaks out in Dhenkanal hospital, no casualties reported

Dhenkanal: The lack of preparedness on part of authorities and lack of fire safety measures were exposed after fire broke out in Dhenkanal district headquarters hospital here today.

The incident occurred at around 11:05 am when some staff of the hospital were cooking food in the canteen located on the fifth floor of the hospital.

“After getting information about the fire mishap, we immediately swung into action and doused the flames,” said Assistant Fire Officer, Umakant Nayak.

Nayak further informed that food was being cooked in a coal based hearth that was being operated with the help of a battery. Besides, the hospital authorities had not applied for fire safety certificate and notice was also issued in this regard.

“Under no circumstances, canteen should have been allowed inside the hospital,” Nayak added.

Dhenkanal sub-collector, Pitambar Samal informed that action will be taken if any deviation is found in the existing fire safety norms at the hospital.

Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO), Basudev Behera informed that permission was given to staff to cook meals on temporary basis. However, tender will be issued shortly for a canteen while the agency cannot cook meals using heaters or electricity appliances inside the hospital premises.

“The work for installation of fire safety measures are on at the hospital,” Behera added.

}