Fire breaks out in Apollo Hospitals in Bhubaneswar; no casualties reported
Bhubaneswar: Panic spread among patients and their attendants after fire reportedly broke out on the fifth floor of Apollo Hospitals in Bhubaneswar on Saturday. According to reports, the fire broke out in the battery room of the hospital. As the battery room was located close to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), the hospital authorities immediately shifted patients apprehending any untoward incident due to smoke.
Most of the patients, particularly those on life support systems were immediately evacuated as a precautionary measure after the electricity supply to the hospital was snapped following the fire mishap. Some of the critically ill patients have been shifted to other hospitals in the city.
— OTV (@otvnews) February 2, 2019
“I was undergoing treatment on the 4th floor of the hospital. The hospital officials were a little worried as they were facing problems due to fluctuations in power supply. Later, we got information about the fire on the 5th floor and immediately we came outside,” said a patient who is undergoing treatment at the hospital.
Though the exact reason behind the fire mishap is yet to be ascertained, a team of fire-fighters successfully doused the flames after an intense operation.
According to reports, some staff of the hospital detected smoke and called up the fire brigade.
“Our staff detected smoke inside the battery room at around 10 am and immediately alerted the Fire Services department,” said Sudhir Digikar, CEO of Apollo Hospitals.
Sudhir further informed that the electricity supply to the hospital was immediately snapped following the detection of smoke and patients were evacuated. “Nearly 15 patients have been shifted to other hospitals in the city,” he added.
Senior Fire officials informed that the Kalpana Fire Station received the emergency call from the hospital at around 10:43 am and immediately fire teams were dispatched to the spot.
“It is suspected that due to overheating of batteries, fire broke out in the hospital. The internal hospital squad was also prompt in tackling the fire,” said the fire official.
Moreover, an investigation will be conducted to ascertain whether all the steps taken to tackle the situation and evacuation procedures were adequate or not.
“From preliminary inquiry it is suspected that the fire was caused due to electrical short-circuit. Patients from fourth and third floors were evacuated and the situation is under control now,” said Bhubaneswar DCP, Anup Sahoo.
In a tweet, DG Fire Services and CD, BK Sharma informed that Fire Officer has been ordered to enquire into the fire incident at Apollo Hospital.
Fire Officer, CR ordered to enquire into the fire incident at Appollo Hospital, Bhubaneswar. Cause of fire, availability/functioning of fire fighting measures, evacuation, house keeping etc. shall be looked into. In case of lapse, action as per OFP&FS Rules, 2017 shall be taken pic.twitter.com/kUpj5IgRZk
— Bijay Kumar Sharma (@BijayKumarShar7) February 2, 2019