Fire breaks out in Anganwadi centre; no casualties

Bhadrak: As many as 12 children had a narrow escape when fire broke out in a temporary Anganwadi centre at Mahalik Sahi in Bideipur panchayat under Basudevpur block in the district today.

As per reports, while the Anganwadi workers were preparing mid-day meal suddenly fire caught the LPG gas cylinder and thatched roof. Within the span of a few minutes the fire spread into nearby rooms. In the meantime, the staff shifted the students to a safer place.

“After we noticed the flame we took the children to a safer place,” said an Anganwadi worker, Sanjulata Mallick.

“We tried to douse the flames but the intensity of the fire was very high. With the help of locals we managed to remove the cylinder and throw it into the nearby pond,” said Purnachandra Bal, a villager.

Important documents and other stuff kept at the centre were reduced to ashes in the mishap.

After being informed, a fire tender unit reached the spot and doused the flames.

Later the Child Development Project Officer (CDPO) Janki Das reached the spot to take stock of the situation. “It is suspected that leakage in gas cylinder triggered the fire. None of the children and staff are hurt in the mishap,” said Das.