Female elephant killed, calf rescued
Berhampur: A female elephant was electrocuted, while a calf was rescued from a well by forest workers in Ganjam district on Saturday.
A 35-year-old female elephant was electrocuted after coming in contact with high-tension electric wires near Mahaguda jungle. The elephant had uprooted an electric pole there, south Ghumusara divisional forest officer K C Mishra said.
The DFO said the elephant was part of an eight-member herd going to Phulbani from Mahaguda and might have uprooted the electric pole in the night while crossing the area. Local people spotted its carcass and informed forest officials.
In another incident forest officials rescued a four-year-old elephant calf, which fell into a well at Kadapada village in Buguda forest range. Eight adult elephants were guarding it near the spot.
The herd was removed from the site to allow the forest staff rescue the baby elephant, Ghumusara north divisional forest officer R C Behera said.